Review: Revisiting Melancholie der Engel (2017)

Engelsk recension:

An interesting look at something I thought I would never know more about.


Image borrowed from HORRORZONE.RU


(As a non native English speaker I excuse myself for bad wording. Enjoy the review!)

As soon as I heard about "Revisiting Melancholie der Engel" I had to pre-order the DVD: I just couldn't miss out on a documentary about the one movie in recent years I couldn't finish.

I remember hearing about Marian Doran for the first time. It was because of his movie "Cannibal" (2006). I was in shock, just hearing about it. I have always had a fascination for the Meiwes case (still do) so a movie about the "found footage" itself - the crime in itself - really intrigued me.

That movie left me with a bad taste in my mouth and a sensation of being hollow on the inside. I loved it. I had witnessed a true horror film. It is not at all a bad film, let's get that straight. Most moviegoers like to have a cute jumpscare here and there and see the antagonist go up in flames until next time. Sure - I enjoy the occasional easy going horror flick (mostly from the 70 and 80s) but more as a fun time and not to be horrified.

Marian Dora, intentionally or not, is a master of the truly horrific. A rape of the senses. And yet it's kinda beautiful. He knows the language of film, how to use horrific pictures and events to make something incredible disturbing and fascinating - all on video!

The best parts of a Ulli Lommel "shot-on-video" movie is when Dora is involved. It comes alive.

When Dora decided to make his magnum opus that is "Melancholie der Engel" he had the tools and the experience. But during the making of said movie Dora entered his personal hell... There are no "behind the scenes" or funny "bloopers". The only thing we had about the making of this movie were rumours - until now...

Magnus Blomdahl, author of the book "True Horror" (and it's sequel "True Horror 2" scheduled for release in May this year, 2017) that takes a interesting look at extreme cinema and the makers of these underdog films, made this movie by himself. He really did. Directing, editing, shooting, interviewing - everything. Does it show? Yes. Does it make it bad? On the contrary.

The discussions he and Dora has demanded somekind of a personal relationship between the two. This is not your common movie we're talking about - this is "Melancholie der Engel". A piece of disturbing art so far from conventional cinema you can come basically.

For the first time we get to hear the man behind it all speak about making it. We get to see some of the places where the shooting took place. An eerie feeling grows through out the whole movie, all while Magnus and Marian talks about the making of something that didn't end up as Marian thought it would or as he would have liked. But that he still is very proud of (and he should be).

The whole documentary is basically a conversation between the two while we are being taken on a guided tour through the locations of the movie. It's an amazing opportunity to get to know more about one of the most disturbing and fascinating movies (and directors) of all time. I only wish it had a longer running time with more stories and an even more in-depth look at "MdE" and especially it's director.

This is underground cinema at it's best and I highly recommend taking the dive into the world of Marian Dora...


Buy it here.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Help make True Horror happen!

Recension: Murder-Set-Pieces (2004)